As the weather starts to get colder, bugs start to travel inside workplaces to find warmth. Many business owners spray pesticides as a way to stop bugs from entering the building. Although this is a common method of eliminating pests in the building, always follow safety guidelines very closely in order to reduce the risk of pesticide related illness or injury.
When spraying pesticides, workers should always wear the correct clothing described on the bottle. For example, wearing impermeable gloves will aid in keeping the chemicals off of your skin. Always wear long pants and long shirts to cover your arms and legs from extra mists and out of control sprayers. Although not always specified, using goggles to protect the eyes will drastically reduce the possibility of ocular injuries.
Despite following all instructions carefully, sometimes accidents still occur. If a worker gets pesticides in the eye, or their skin, or in their lungs, follow these procedures to ensure a safe resolution.
- In the eye: In some cases, damages to the eye can begin in about fifteen minutes. If the pesticide gets into a worker’s eye, hold the eyelid open and gently flush the eye with tap or hose water for fifteen minutes. Do not add eye drops or additional chemicals to the water or eye.
- On the skin: A painful, burning irritation almost always occurs when pesticides splash onto a worker’s skin. Be sure to remove the poisoned clothing and thoroughly wash the area with water. Discard the contaminated clothing or carefully wash separately from other laundry.
- Excessive inhalation: Excessive pesticide fumes could cause breathing troubles or fainting in workers. If present conditions appear safe enough for helpers to reach a victim, drag them to fresh air immediately. Open all windows and doors to ventilate the area. Loosen the victim’s tight clothing if they stopped breathing. If you cannot reach the injured worker, call the local fire department.
Always store pesticides in places where they will not get bumped or spilled. Keeping sprayers on high shelves in locked cabinets or closets will ensure unused chemicals stay out of the way from usual workplace activities.
Most importantly, in the event of a spill, clean puddles quickly and safety to avoid further injuries. An absorbent product will usually handle the liquid base of pesticides the best. SpillFix absorbent product, made of a renewable resource from the coconut husk, cleans chemical spills quickly and efficiently. Sprinkle the absorbent product around the outside of the spill to prevent spreading. Secondly, cover the rest of the spill with SpillFix. Then mix the coconut husk base into the spill until the absorbent fully absorbs the pesticides. Workers can safely dispose of the use SpillFix or save it for another dangerous spill.
Always follow the instructions when using pesticides in your business. Bugs can be a big nuisance, but avoiding worker related injuries will save the business from more nuisances in the long run.